Friday 16 September 2011

When did mother become a bad word?????

Does anyone else feel like using the word mother is now taboo???? I know I do. No longer is being a positive thing, it is now considered to be an unnecessary person in the child's life especially if you are going through the family court system. And being a single mother is the worst thing in the entire world.

I am so sick of being labelled because I am a single mother. Did I choose to be a single mum??? In the short answer yes. I choose to leave me abusive partner and raise my child in a safe stable environment. I choose to have a better life for my child and I. Did I want to be a single mum??? No I grew up dreaming of being a mum but didn't dream I would be doing it by myself at the age of 20.

Back when good old John Howard started the attacks on single mother's is when mum became a bad word. He stereotyped that all single mothers got pregnant on purpose so that they were entitled to live the life of luxury at the tax payers expense by living off the welfare payments. Fact is Mr Howard it takes two people to get pregnant both a man and a woman and not all single mothers live off welfare. I have been a single mother for 6 and a half years and in that time I have worked three days a week and have studied a double degree at university so I can provide a better life for my child. I do not live the life of luxury, far from it actually. I live with my mother as the so called welfare payments and family tax benefits which I receive would not allow me to have a place of my own and be able to survive and have food in my cupboards. I do not drive an expensive car, my car is nearly as old as me but it is safe and gets me from A to B. I do not go on expensive holidays yearly as Mr Howard had the Australian public believe.

Mr Howard has destroyed the role of mother's in their children's life by setting up the "great" CSA. You see I agree that if both parents are separated and are still in the child's life they should have to pay to raise that child. But what Mr Howard did is set up the CSA in a way to benefit father's if they had time with their child by reducing the amount of child support they have to pay to mother's who according to men spend the money on themselves and their new boyfriends. I can tell you now until my ex was finally tracked down for child support after 6 years he did not apply to the family court for access to the child. It was only once he was found and cautioned about not paying child support that he started the court proceedings and since then I have received the child support money monthly. Before this I was lucky to receive it once every 5 months once he was tracked down at a new job before again leaving. Guess what I do not want his child support if it means he will leave the child alone. I did it by myself (with help from my mother) for 6 years and I will be happy to continue to do it for the rest of my life if my child is safe. Even my lawyer and the woman from court support can see that my ex taking me to court is about the money and nothing else.

Mother became a dirty word when the father's rights group got on board to reduce the amount of child support men have to pay and to show the word how much they hate women and especially mothers. And who helped them gain power??? You guessed it John Howard and his hatred of single mothers.

So I want to say thank you John Howard for spreading your hatred of mothers and women. I am sure your mother would be proud. And thank you to the father's rights group for putting children's right to safety below the right for men to keep money in their pocket. And thank you CSA for assisting abusers to continue the cycle of abuse and thank you to the family court system for enabling the abusers access to mothers and children to once again continue their abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment